Miguel became the Coordinator of the Intergroup in March 2020. He previously worked in the Anti-Discrimination Department of the Council of Europe, focusing specifically on LGBTI Rights (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Unit) and in Anti-Gypsyism (Roma and Travellers Team). He has focused his professional career in human rights in Europe.
Miguel holds a Bachelors in Communication Sciences from Universidade Nova de Lisboa (Lisbon, Portugal) and a Masters degree in EU Studies from Universiteit Leiden (Leiden, the Netherlands). He further completed his education through periodic thematic courses such as Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in International Law and International Humanitarian Action.
Previous Intergroup Secretaries include
- Juliette Sanchez-Lambert (February 2018 – January 2020);
- Evert Jan Jacobsen (June 2014 – February 2018);
- Bruno Selun (November 2009 – June 2014);
- Maris Sergejenko (April 2008 – June 2009);
- Kim Smouter (September 2006 – July 2007);
- Catrine Norrgård (December 2005 – June 2006);
- Oscar Ortiz-Nieminen (September 2005 – March 2006);
- Rosa Santrich (2002 – 2004);
- Hein Verkerk (1997-2001).
The position is funded by the Presidents of the Intergroup.
The LGBTI Intergroup may welcome fellows to conduct research on topics related to its work. Research fellows should be funded by their university, school or government for the entire course of their stay. If interested, send us an email through our contact form.